In some cases VPS Hosting plan is better than Shared Hosting plan, and in some other cases it’s vice versa. But, still many website owners recommend the VPS hosting plan over the shared hosting plan, because of the following reasons:
• Shared hosting has access to a very limited number of resources only whereas the VPS hosting has greater resource availability as it allows private disk spaces.
• VPS hosting is comparatively more secure than Shared hosting.
• Shared hosting provides a very basic level of file system and compartmentalization while VPS hosting offers Xen Linux and OpenVZ Virtualization.
There is a company named ‘Gigepipe’, which offers Webhosting at reasonable prices. It also provides a great support team, and great equipments.
“www.gigepipe.com”- This is the website of the above mentioned company.
Click here to find out more.
What are the disadvantages of VPS hosting?
The disadvantages are as follows:
• Updating- The system needs to be up to date and running. In case, if newer version of the web server software comes out to fix a security problem, then your server is needed to be updated so that it doesn’t get hacked.
• Responsibility- A dedicated system administrator is needed to take care of your server. But if the web server software crashes over a weakened then the friendly administrator won’t always handle it, it’s only you who needs to handle it.
• Availability of resources- Though a certain portion of the server’s hardware is available, but there are far fewer resources available than if you had your own dedicated server.
• Costly- VPS hosting is costly so one should be careful with cheap offers.
• Certain applications might have issues running in a virtualized environment; hence you must be particular with them.
What are factors depending on which one may move from Shared Hosting to VPS Hosting plans?
You can move from Shared hosting to VPS hosting, when:
• Your website is gobbling your RAM and CPU resources.
• Your website is consuming all the processors.
• You are planning to send more emails.
• You feel the need for a complete control.
• You feel ready to rise above the rest.
• You are looking for stability and excellent performance.
• You want to customize the settings and the appearance.
• You want to expand the existing performance level of the servers.
What are the steps involved in moving from any web hosting plan to VPS hosting?
Given below are the steps involved in moving to VPS:
1. Backup the current hosting files as well as the database.
2. Backup your email data. If cPanel is currently being used, then the entire cPanel data along with the mail accounts can be copied to the VPS with cPanel.
3. A hosting package has to be created on your VPS account with bandwidth and disk space well defined.
4. Install all your CMS and also restore data.
5. DNS records are to be created for your private name servers
6. Your private name servers are to be updated with your domain registrar. This will point your domain to your VPS hosting
All these are to be done by the support team and you just need to know to use your Web Host Manager (WHM) interface and cPanel.
What is Virtual Dedicated Server (VDS)?
A virtual dedicated server (VDS), same as a virtual private server (VPS), is a virtual server which appears to the user as dedicated server but actually the computer in which it is installed serves multiple Websites. There are unmetered dedicated servers, which offer unmetered bandwidth, means the user has no threshold on the usages.